What does a normal day in lockdown look like? Desi Edition

 Waking up with a lot of struggle at noon, hearing your parents scream at you for being an incompetent kid, scrolling through Instagram to drown out their voices and what do you see?- an old friend from school just started a youtube channel, another one just loves to socialize, then its Disha Patani in her Calvin Klein sports apparel, your college friend organizing a quiz, and then Tanmay Bhat's streaming but before my lazy ass could swipe up for the link, it switches to an ad of detox capsules that helps you lose weight. There's this gorgeous girl with amazing hair and flawless skin speaking about how these artificial 'detox capsules' is the sole reason for her weight loss, and a flashback photo of her weighing 86 kgs, two months ago pops up.

For a moment I'm tempted to talk about this to my mom and order it to see the magic happen with my own eyes. But then coming back to my senses, I think about how did this ad pop up? Oh! the world of technology that we're trapped in!

My mom and I had a screaming match last night when she was trying t force feed me one more Aloo parantha, slathered with a layer of white Makhan whose glisten could light up a pitch-black room, and I shouted at her refusing to eat that. Upon my dismissal of her which came wrapped up in a bucket load of calories, with fire in her eyes, she asked me with her voice laced with ice, "why?" I, on the other hand, holding up my wall of resilience as high as I could, closed my eyes, Chloe TIng's workout regime flashing in my mind, exhaled and with opening my eyes, muttered two words, that can break a Punjabi mother's heart, " losing weight"

I wanted to leave the dining room there and then, go back into my room and cower in a corner, because, in my house, under no circumstances do you refuse food especially for reasons as lame as weight loss. But after being home for months, not even quarantined in the house but on the couch - binge-watching and binge-eating, I'd put on a crazy amount of weight, the weight that took me 4 years of hostel life, the last of which was spent in the gym. But there was no point explaining this to my mom, my mom who feeds my diabetic dad Halwa-puri, when she's made something he's not very fond of, and without fail puts sweets in his lunch, instead of fruits. She thinks that you build muscles by gobbling down bottles of ghee and sweet lassi. So, rightfully so, she looked at my dad and said," kedi Ji aulaad paida kiti hai" which translates to what kind of a kid have we given birth to!

This cues my father to do the two things, he's best at                                                                                   1. supporting my mother                                                                                                                               2. Looking at me with disappointment filled eyes

My mom continues," All day you kids will sit on your butt, because of which it's swollen like a balloon and you blame my paranthas for it. The reason you're fat is that damned phone of yours. Throw it away NOW! See how you'll start dropping with a speed of one pound per day!" What fucked up logic is this.

I get up from my chair and retreat back onto the couch while slowly mumbling," I's final. No more greasy food or sugar for me. I'm on a diet now! I need to lose weight."

The screaming match was concluded by her obvious screaming," Weight loss! WEIGHT loss! WEIGHT LOSS! Let's see your weight loss by giving up on food. Your bones are going to crumble by sitting down on your ass all day (the funniness and the logic of this statement has been lost in translation)"

So Mr.Zuckerberg's doing might have led to my hone picking this up and thrown the 'detox capsules' ad in my face. That's so fucking crazy. you don't even need to write in a message anymore.

So, that's how my life's summed up - a hostile home environment! support what's that?

Nothing to do

Social Media

Mental Health blow to pieces 

Distraction by netflix 

Feeling hungry?

Binge-eat

↓  

Step up on the weighing scale 

Mental health blown to pieces Again


No comments:

Post a Comment

What does a normal day in lockdown look like? Desi Edition

 Waking up with a lot of struggle at noon, hearing your parents scream at you for being an incompetent kid, scrolling through Instagram to d...